places and getting there

reading Tracy Emin in the Independent today - she was in Scotland for a bit recently and wrote about being here. it sounds like she has not been here before .. up north anyway, and it reminded me of a good pal of mine. a half English half Sri Lankan pal who said when she first came up here and up to the north-west - she had to get out of the van and lie flat on the ground in tears! she just felt she had come home somehow. it can have that effect. it does seem like an old old land, with many ghosts, and something very deep... and the air is good. it makes me cry up there too. i used to travel up and down between here and England by bus or train and always could smell the clear fresh smell of Scotland as soon as we got to the border.

as a child, flying home to whichever country the family were living in at the time, from boarding school, i used to love that first wham of air when you stood on the top of the gangway - heat and smell! lovely! home! as we landed and taxied in, i used to scan about for my father who would be standing somewhere about on the apron in his 'whites' and his shades and cap - although have to admit as he got older he didnt have to wear uniform. waiting for me. i loved the long flights out to Bangkok. the dimmed lights at night, curling up on 2 seats with a blanket, the quiet hum, and the feeling of being carried in the belly of a huge big safe wonderful bird - i felt that safe feeling in my tummy and almost tearful with wonder and love of it and the joy of going home!

of course the return journey couldnt be more opposite. but that is for another time.

this is not an advert for flying; i was flying in comets, and 707's and even my favourite the VC10! lovely planes. oh and there was the Britania 'the Whispering Giant'!! (oh -synchronisity - my email has just popped up to tell me i have an email from british airways!)
i know - just more advertising, persuading me to fly away to somewhere i cant afford to! one day, eh!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The times I loved were flying on the jumbos's, having the 1st class lounge upstairs to ourselves and spreading out all over the floor with my lego or dolls!
And landing somewhere, and D coming up the flight steps in to the cabin to meet - to find- me! Or wiating with D on the tarmac and both of us going on to meet someone.
The good old days! Am afraid our flying experiences are somewhat different now!:)
ooo you posh jumbo girl you! 1st class eh!! the only poshness i remember was when flying with mother, one plane used to have a curved lounge part at the back, and she would tuck me up on seats and then go back there for cocktails! no idea what sort of plane that was tho. yes, changed days!
Anonymous said…
I have just tagged you for a meme..come on over to my place and see!

ambvflae x