Time to have a look at the blog of a friend, I checked out mine as well. Shocked to see nothing written since september - almost a year ago - oh no, it is actually still 2013. confusing when you write about an incident but don't post it for 6 months.

So much has happened since september, I can barely believe it was this year I posted that blog. Reading it over it becomes clear - I was staying in friends' house in the Borders, away from my current preoccupations, so I had time and space to reflect.

Once more in the NLS cafe, escaping from everyday concerns.  I was out with some newly made friends last night, enjoying conversations varying between what everyone is doing at Christmas and family related observations to the impending Scottish vote next year, where everyone originated, different cultures, countries, languages and a bit of art history.

Somehow inevitably the story of my peripatetic childhood came up and I was reminded again of the fascination this subject has for some people and inevitably I began to feel the subject of 'me' was taking too much attention, a bit embarrassed I attempted to change the subject, not always successfully, and I have to admit to a certain enjoyment as I retold bits of childhood as stories.  But it has brought memories back a bit and I find myself thinking about it all again today.

In first year college I did ceramics as one of my electives, I looked forward to learning how to use the wheel and other techniques, but we were only given a slab technique to work on and I did not enjoy it, which in a way gave me more freedom - letting go of outcome lets me play, allows more unconscious mind to work.  So one of the things I made was a well which developed into more of a structure. I had to have everything going the wrong way - water pouring upwards into the 'house' outside, fish swimming down the wall, looking at it now I can see an influence from childhood there.
Looks like I shall have to finish this on my desktop pc to upload pics.
So.  More later.

Comments

dritanje said…
I'm always fascinated by stories of your childhood. Though I actually like to listen to stories of other people's lives in general but particularly when they occur in other countries. I don't know why, but I just love to hear them, memories or travellers' tales. I hope you will continue this, and put up the pics!
Mxx
Thank you M! I intend to do more after having settled in new home. Xx