Old Photos, first UK Christmas

The first Christmas I had in the UK was in 1956. I know that because it was the year of the Suez crisis.  We had been living in Cairo at the time.  I was 6. I remember flying to the UK with mother because Granny had had a heart attack (or stroke).  Ma told me years later that when we landed we were greeted with 'thank goodness you got out', which surprised her as she had not realised how serious the situation was (apparently!) Who knows what our parents told us in order not to scare us!
Anyway, father and 2 other BOAC men had bundled into a jeep and driven north to Alexandria to get boats home, but had got caught and arrested there.

Meanwhile, ma and I were staying with an old pal of hers, Peg, who lived in an old house which had once been the hunting lodge of the Nightingale family. It was called Longdown, and was haunted by the Embly ghost, being very near to Embly Park school which I believe used to be the Nightingale family house.  Longdown was haunted too, I heard the ghost.  Peg reassured me it was a friendly one, just came up stairs at night and checked we were all ok.


Longdown in the snow.

I loved this house, it was full of strange nooks and crannies to hide in, and dusty places to explore, it was also on the edge of a wood where I would spend time running about inventing stories and fantasies with Alex and Pru the Pointer, Peg's dog.

Alex was already staying with Peg when ma and I arrived. Standing at the doorway as we got out of the car were Peg and a boy wielding an enormous sword!  This was Alex, Peg's nephew on hols from school whose parents lived in Hong Kong. I was awestruck.  The sword was a family heirloom of Peg's, it eventually ended up in the attic out of harm's way.

I am unsure about what time of year all this took place in. At some point I will look up when Suez actually crisised. But by the time Christmas came my father was back, and staying with us, and I saw my very first snow.


Ma and me and another front view of Longdown.

Me and Alex on Anna, Peg's horse, at Longdown. Anna once chucked me head first into a bed of nettles!

Snowball time, i am looking a bit bemused.


Side view of Longdown, there was a large shed on the other side and a large veg garden in which I lost my tortoise.  This is me and Pru Peg's pointer, usually mucking about in the wood.

Me, Peg and Ma, winter walks.

All these photos were taken by my father, he never went anywhere without his camera, so he was obviously back from Egypt by now.  I used to go into my ma's room each morning when I woke up.  One morning there was a man in her bed, I crept round to her side and asked ma, she said it was my father. I didnt recognise him - he had a beard! I was quite annoyed that he hadn't brought me my dolls house back.  He had one suitcase, and all our belongings at the house in Cairo were never to be seen again - by us anyway.  I remember father being really angry about something to do with the government but in those days children were not told 'grown up' things.

I have so many memories of this time, this place. I may continue this later.



Comments

dritanje said…
How lovely to have photos of this time! So sad though that all your possessions were lost in Cairo. Sounds like your Dad had quite a time of it getting out! (I don't know how I missed this post when it went up.) I love hearing (and seeing) about your early life and adventures.
M xx
Thank you M! It sometimes feels a bit self indulgent, so its lovely of you to comment
Txxx